The curtains in your bedroom contribute to the overall look and feel of your room. Your bedroom might be one of the most important, if not the most important room in your house. This is where you get ready for the day and lay down and sleep after a long one. We all know how vital sleep is to our overall wellbeing. As a matter of fact, a motion was passed in the Senate recognising the importance of reducing sleep disorders and sleep deprivation to one’s health.
Consider These 4 Things before Buying Your Bedroom Curtains
Your bedroom is your sanctuary, and you wouldn’t want any component of the room to ruin it. This includes even your curtains. Homes to Love considers window treatments as the finishing touches to any space, and it can get complicated deciding what to get. To help you out, we’ve prepared a simple guide below so read on.
1. Fabric and colour
In choosing curtains for your bedroom, fabric plays an essential part. This is because the material will dictate how your curtain will function and hold up as time goes by. Those that are too heavy may not fold crisply when you draw them. On the other hand, those that are too light may not fall well. Do this simple test when choosing a fabric for your bedroom curtains:
- Hold the fabric up to a window, you can still do this in a showroom.
- Fold it up at the top like an accordion.
- Observe how it drapes. If it starts to flare like a stiff petticoat, then it’s not going to fall nicely on your window.
- Desired privacy and amount of light
You do the most intimate acts inside your bedroom so it follows that you’d want more privacy for this room. Consider a heavier fabric for your bedroom windows. If you prefer to get a more restful sleep until the sun is up, then consider getting blockout curtains. For natural lighting, you may opt to layer sheer curtains with your heavier drapes.
When it comes to buying curtains for your bedroom, it is vital that you take note of the following:
- Height from the rod to the floor – Don’t forget to take into consideration the height of rings or hanging hardware.
- Preferred space between the curtains and the floor
- The width of the window – A few considerations would depend on how full you want your curtains to be. If you want a tailored look, the rule of thumb is for your curtain panels to be 2 inches wider than the window. For a draped look, it is recommended that the curtains be 3 times as wide as the window.
When you’re done with accounting for the first three considerations, it’s now time for the most exciting part – picking a style. For a cohesive look, it’s best to get a hue from your colour palette that has a solid or patterned treatment. If you prefer to go bold, make a statement by using colourfully patterned curtains. If you are into a more subtle style, however, consider a neutral curtain instead.
Find a Trusted Name in Canberra for all your Curtains Needs
If you’re looking for the best range of curtains in Canberra, Watson Blinds & Awnings is your go-to partner! Watson Blinds & Awnings offers made-to-measure curtains depending on your needs and preferences. You may request for an appointment today or call 02 6280 4443 to find out more.